Something most of us can agree on is that the rollout of the Obamacare exchanges has been a disaster. Even the president and some delusional Democrats will admit it hasn't been a slam dunk. But the question then becomes: Does the failure of the website rollout translate into bigger issues for Obamacare itself? It depends on who you ask.
A brand new poll from Washington Post-ABC News finds that a majority of Americans (56%) believe the disastrous rollout of the Obamacare exchanges foreshadows larger problems for Obamacare itself. Of course it does. If this is what the government comes up with after three years and $634 million, then imagine what the rest of the law has in store for us!
While the belief that this rollout speaks to bigger Obamacare issues divides along party lines, it is important to note that 55% of independents see the rollout as part of a broader problem with Obamacare. Obama tried his hardest yesterday, giving Americans the sales pitch that “the product is still good.” In fact, I'd encourage you to read this great article that appeared in Tech Crunch: “Who Said It? President Obama Or An Infomercial?” It nails it when it comes to Obama's deaf tone and over-the-top effort to convince the American people to buy into his healthcare law. But it doesn't seem like the American people are buying what he's selling. Maybe that's because a majority of Americans (53%) also disapprove of Obama's handling of the Obamacare rollout. Obama and his administration officials like Kathleen Sebelius are suffering from a crisis of credibility. I would agree with the assessment from CBS News Political Director John Dickerson who fears the president is headed towards “a credibility depth spiral.” I would argue that Obama's credibility was already in a death spiral before the Obamacare exchange rollout, but this certainly isn't helping him.
Ron Fournier of National Journal has five reasons why Obama shouldn't just be frustrated by the rollout of the Obamacare exchanges, he should be frightened: It's worse than his team has let on, this is the easy part, it reflects poorly on the president, it reflects poorly on government and it could hurt Americans. He's absolutely right.
The fact is that Obamacare will not deliver on the promises Obama made for the last several years.
- It is going to double premium prices for the average man and increase costs for women by 60% on average, according to Forbes.
- Costs are rising in 45 out of 50 states, according to the Heritage Foundation.
- The CBO estimates that 30 million people will remain uninsured, despite the individual mandate.
- The promise of keeping your current healthcare plan if you like it has become a joke. Business Insider explains why so many Americans are getting letters saying their health insurance is canceled.
- The overall cost of Obamacare has nearly tripled from less than $1 trillion to $2.6 trillion.
- The anecdotal evidence of Obamacare effecting businesses, hours and jobs is overwhelming and I've presented you with numerous examples throughout the last few months.
How can liberals supporting Obamacare possibly explain these things? They can't, yet their blind allegiance to this president and to the liberal utopian idea of socialized medicine has them pathetically trying to defend this law.