Democrats are using scare tactics and hyped rhetoric in making their case against sequestration. It seems as though any cut in government spending will lead to some sort of catastrophic occurrence. That's amazing to me, considering the fact that we are really just arguing about cuts in the growth of spending. Let me give you a few examples of this overly-dramatic rhetoric from Democrats on the issue of spending cuts.
During his speech today on the looming sequestration, flanked by first responders, Barack Obama threatened the loss of thousands of jobs. Here's what else we can expect, according to Obama himself, if these cuts go into effect:
- “It will jeopardize our military readiness”
- “It will eviscerate job-creating investments in education, energy and medical research”
- “Emergency responders, their ability to respond to and recover from disaster bill be degraded”
- “Border patrol agents will see their hours reduced”
- “FBI agents will be furloughed”
- “Federal prosecutors will have to close cases and let criminals go”
- “Air traffic controllers and airport security will see cutbacks, which means more delays in airports across the country”
- “Thousands of teachers and educators will be laid off”
- “Tens of thousands of parents will have to scramble to find childcare for their kids”
- “Hundreds of thousands of Americans will lose access to preventive care and primary care like flu vaccinations and cancer screenings”
- “The unemployment rate might tick up again”
- “Deeper cuts in student loan programs”
Wow, that is a lot to process. So according to the President, if we cut the rate of growth of spending, we can expect to see lawlessness in the streets, criminals to be set free, kids will go without child care or teachers, students won't be able to afford college, cancer will go undetected, and more people will lose their jobs causing employment to increase.
But it gets worse. According to Obama's Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan, thousands of children could be exposed to lead poisoning if sequestration goes into effect. He told the Senate Appropriations Committee yesterday, “Cuts to our office of healthy homes and lead hazard control and related programs would result in more than 3,000 of the most vulnerable children not being protected from lead poisoning or other hazards in their homes.” So add to Obama's list, lead poisoning for our most vulnerable children.
I am not saying that sequestration is the smart way to cut spending, but there's one key point that Obama failed to mention throughout his litany of fear-mongering, and that is the fact that this plan was proposed by his own White House and signed into law by Obama himself! He said in the beginning of his speech today that the plan was never supposed to go through, but rather force Congress' hand to compromise. So now it seems we are in the business of signing terrible laws in order to use them as leverage to get Republicans to cave on tax increases. That's basically what it boils down to. Obama wants to blame the Republicans for being the ones who aren't compromising, yet Obama has compromised the entire integrity of our system by using his own law to warn of dire consequences if it isn't undone by the Republicans.