ObamaCare is a disaster that is owned by Barack Obama and the Democrats. Anyone who tries to tell you that it is great isn't fooling anyone. These are people like Nancy Pelosi who glosses over the technical failures of these exchanges and wants Americans to focus on “the liberation of people” to live “a healthier life of liberty, freedom to choose their happiness.” Give me a break. We know the truth of the effects of ObamaCare.
I cannot believe that I am saying this, but I actually agree with Robert Gibbs! He describes the rollout of ObamaCare as “bungled badly” and says it is “excruciatingly embarrassing for the White House and for the Department of Health and Human Services.” That's some tough language from the former White House Press Secretary. Can you imagine if he were still press secretary and forced to defend this law?
On October 24th there is supposed to be a House hearing on the dysfunctional roll-out of the ObamaCare exchanges. HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius will be asked to testify, and if she refuses she will likely be subpoenaed.
Jay Carney said yesterday that Obama wasn't happy with the roll-out of the exchanges and that the administration is seeking accountability for those who are working on implementation.
The bottom line is that someone needs to answer for this epic exchange failure. If this were the private sector, people would already be fired. But this is government we are dealing with. It's difficult, and sometimes feels impossible, to hold people accountable.
Here are some of the latest reasons why someone needs to answer for this train wreck.
- Insurance companies are reporting that they are receiving flawed data from ObamaCare's exchange website. These errors include: Duplicate enrollments, spouses reported as children, missing data fields and suspect eligibility determinations, according to a report by Marketwatch. This shows that issues with ObamaCare aren't just about too much website traffic.
- A new report from the Washington Examiner finds that testing for ObamaCare's federal exchange did not take place until one week before its official launch. It only had 4-6 days of testing total. As a frame of reference, testing on projects this size usually takes four to six months and is not done by the government but private companies.
- The website itself – healthcare.gov – ended up costing three times more than its original budget, and it is STILL a failure! Only in government can you get away with runaway costs and zero value.
- Technology experts weighed in on the failures of the ObamaCare exchange website. In USA Today: “The federal health care exchange was built using 10-year-old technology that may require constant fixes and updates for the next six months and the eventual overhaul of the entire system.” One expert goes on to explain, "Even if they had a perfect system, it still won't work." In other words, they are using old technology to do 2013 things. Which government bureaucrat thought that would be acceptable?
- The infamous group ACORN may now be defunct, but its former leaders have found a new profession: Signing people up for ObamaCare! Your tax dollars are funding groups like the United Labor Unions Council Local 100, created by ACORN founder Wade Rathke, to help people “navigate” the ObamaCare exchanges – which also happen to ask if you would like to register to vote.
- Other “navigators” are becoming increasingly frustrated by the technical failures of the website. Here are some of their experiences …
- The firm that designed the federal exchange website must have been so embarrassed by the failure of the site that they took down any references to it until being called out by the media.
- We know that only 1% of visitors to the ObamaCare exchange website actually enrolled, which is about 36,000 people. This is vastly lower than what the administration expected, according to an internal memo. They expected 500,000 to enroll in the ObamaCare exchanges in the first month. They've clearly got a ways to go to meet that goal, and this pace will make it difficult for them to meet their long-term goals of 3.3 million by December and 7 million in the first year.
- Americans who signed up for ObamaCare within the first ten days were the victims of an upgrade “glitch” to the system which deleted their username and password for the site, forcing them to create new accounts.
Yet if you were to ask Nancy Pelosi, none of this gives any credence to the idea that maybe we should delay the implementation of ObamaCare. Even if the exchanges aren't functioning in December, she still wants America to press onward. Even though premium prices are up in 45 out of 50 states after we were promised costs would be reduced, onwards. Even after the overall cost of ObamaCare has tripled from what we were originally promised, onwards. Even though ObamaCare regulations are having a negative effect on jobs and the economy, onwards. Nancy Pelosi and Barack Obama want to impose ObamaCare on us nonetheless. It's their perverted idea of liberal “liberation” that we don't want and we can't afford.
As Jim DeMint says in his op-ed today in the Wall Street Journal: We will continue to fight and the reason is to protect Americans from the harmful effects of ObamaCare.