It's bad enough to be subjected to Obamacare, it's even worse to be lied to about it. We've now learned an outrageous truth: the administration knew that millions of Americans would lose their current health insurance under Obamacare and they lied about it. This has to be the most dishonest administration in history.
As far back as 2010, the administration knew that upwards of 67% of Americans in the individual insurance healthcare market wouldn't be able to keep their current plan. We are talking about millions of people that they knew would be affected and yet not only did they chose to move forward with the plan but they then lied to the American public that if we liked our current healthcare plan, we could keep it. Apparently there was a giant asterisks next to that promise which should have read “unless Obamacare deems your plan unfit, in which case you will be forced to buy a more expensive plan that meets the government's approval.” These are liberals who believe that they know what is best for you and your family and that you are incapable of choosing a plan that works for you and the government must assume that role. As Charles Krauthammer says, this is almost a parody of the definition of a liberal, “which is: somebody who doesn’t care what you do as long as it’s mandatory.”
Jay Carney finally admitted in his press briefing yesterday, “So it's true that there are existing healthcare plans on the individual market that don't meet those minimum standards and therefore do not qualify for the Affordable Care Act.” Now you tell us! This is one of the things conservatives such as myself have been warning about for years. Yet to point out this fact makes you an “extremists” who wants to deny healthcare to millions of Americans. Look who is now denying millions of Americans access to their own healthcare plans?
But the latest spin from the White House is that the blame lies with the insurance companies. For example, soon after the report was released, Chief White House advisor Valerie Jarrett tweeted: “FACT: Nothing in #Obamacare forces people out of their health plans. No change is required unless insurance companies change existing plans.” That's a down-right shameful spin. The fact is that insurance companies are simply complying with the law. The American people will see right through that PR spin and will recognize that if not for Obamacare, they would be able to keep their current plan.
Now after all the wrangling and political rhetoric that we endured for weeks during the government shutdown, Democrats ended up doing what many Republicans were asking for anyway: delaying the individual mandate. Because the rollout of Healthcare.gov has been so disastrous, the administration is now extending the enrollment period for individuals. The six week delay means that Americans will have until March 31st to sign up for Obamacare without being penalized. So the administration is now taking the Republicans' advice somewhat to heart. But if the Obama administration willing to admit this has gone so poorly, why not just delay it a year, or until it's fully functional, as Marco Rubio is proposing? Why is this administration so insistent on penalizing the American people?
The House and Senate are set to take up similar versions of a bill 'If You Like Your Health Plan, You Can Keep It Act' and the 'Keep Your Health Plan Act.' I like the idea that we must hold this president to his promises, but it's upsetting that this is the point we've come to with this administration.
We are beginning the process of holding people accountable. House Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa has subpoenaed a lead contractor involved with developing Healthcare.gov. Today and tomorrow we are hearing from administration officials on the rollout of the Obamacare exchanges. Tomorrow Kathleen Sebelius is in the hot seat, but today it was Medicare chief Marilyn Tavenner. She gave perhaps the most direct apology we've heard yet from this administration during his testimony before the House Ways and Means Committee. She says the initial performance of the site is “unacceptable” and said, "I want to apologize to you that the website has not worked as well as it should.” Well that's certainly a start. Do you think Sebelius will offer a similar apology to the American people? When does the president finally come forward and apologize for this boondoggle? He's so quick to embark on an apology tour to the rest of the world and our enemies, but he can't even face the American people and own up to his chief legislative disaster.
Keeping up with the news related to Obamacare has almost become a full-time job. It's unbelievable how rapidly this is transforming America. Here are some of the latest stories related to Obamacare that you should know about …
- The Washington Bureaucrats have until Thursday to decide which of their staff members are “official” and will therefore be placed into the DC health exchange. Regardless, lawmakers and staff members will still receive subsidies from the taxpayers that aren't afforded to average Americans.
- A CBS report this morning says that more than two million Americans will be dropped from their current health insurance because of Obamacare.
- State exchange sites are failing to post comparative consumer ratings for insurance plans to give customers all the information they need to find the best rate.
- What does Obamacare have to do with illegal immigration? According to the federal government, "[i]nformation provided by applicants or beneficiaries won’t be used for immigration enforcement purposes."
- When two examples of outrageous government incompetence collide: Arrival of Obamacare puts focus on IRS tax-credit scandal.
- Upwards of 77% of doctors in New York do not plan to participate or aren't sure if they will participate in Obamacare by becoming a provider. Think about how this is literally going to effect your medical care.
- Could the disaster of Healthcare.gov possibly have anything to do with Valerie Jarrett and Michelle Obama? Read this.