Florida gunman Nikolas Cruz refused to receive state-funded mental services after his 18th birthday, declining the district’s treatment he’d been administered for years despite the School’s Superintendent’s best efforts.
The self-confessed shooter who took the lives of 17 individuals at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School earlier this month refused mental health services he’d been receiving previously, telling officials it was no longer needed.
“When Nikolas Cruz turned 18, he refused to let the school district continue providing him with crucial mental health and other services — and there was nothing officials could do about it, Broward Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie said Monday,” writes the Sun Sentinel.
“You can’t make someone do something when the law says they have the right to make that determination,” Runcie added.
The news of Cruz’s refusal to receive the necessary treatment is just another red flag missed by local law enforcement and the FBI.
Earlier this week, the Broward County Sheriff’s Department came under fire after revealing it had been notified at least 45 times over Cruz’s erratic and suspicious behavior.