The Department of Justice and the FBI said they had “grave concerns” over releasing the controversial FISA memo to the American public on Wednesday, claiming the bureau had “limited opportunity” to review the document and had concerns regarding “material omissions.”
The agency released an official statement on the four-page document this week, just one day after the House Intelligence Committee voted to release the bombshell material to the public.
The Justice Department had previously voiced its opposition to disclosing the material, which reportedly highlights widespread abuse of FISA courts at the DOJ to intentionally surveil American citizens -possibly senior Trump associates.
“The FBI was provided a limited opportunity to review this memo the day before the committee voted to release it,” said a statement from the bureau. “As expressed during our initial review, we have grave concerns about material omissions of fact that fundamentally impact the memo’s accuracy.”
“The FBI takes seriously its obligations to the FISA Court and its compliance with procedures overseen by career professionals in the Department of Justice and the FBI. We are committed to working with the appropriate oversight entities to ensure the continuing integrity of the FISA process,” added the agency.