A court in the United Kingdom has decided that doctors have the right to remove a severely-disabled 11-month-old infant from life support on Monday; ignoring the wishes of the boy’s parents’ who hope to seek further treatment.
According to Fox News, the British High Court decided that “further treatment” on Isaiah Haastrup would be futile and that the child would only endure “prolonged suffering” if his life is unnecessarily extended.
“Examining Isaiah’s best interests from a broad perspective…I am satisfied that it is not in his best interests for life-sustaining medical treatment to be continued. That, with profound sadness, is my judgment,” said the judge’s ruling.
The court’s decision to remove Haastrup from life-support follows weeks of legal proceedings, with the boy’s parents fighting his doctors’ insistence that he would never recover from injuries sustained during child birth.
“When I speak to him he will respond, slowly, by opening one eye,” said the boy’s mother. “I see a child who is injured. He needs love. He needs care. I have it. I can give it.”
The case echos a similar legal fight last year, when ‘Little’ Charlie Gard was forcibly removed from life support despite his parents’ desire to seek further treatment in the United States.
Charlie passed away days later.