An “armada” of American warships set sail for the eastern Mediterranean Sea Friday; sending a clear message to Russian authorities as President Trump settles on a US response to last weekend’s deadly chemical weapons attack in Syria.
According to the New York Post, the fleet of 12 warships is the largest armada heading towards the region since the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
The strike group consists of the USS Truman, five escort warships, and other support vehicles.
President Trump vowed a stern US response on social media last week following dictator Bashar al-Assads brutal attack that left over 60 civilians dead; including dozens of women and children. Russian authorities have outright rejected the accusation, saying the UN was trying “to hide” evidence.
“Get ready Russia,” the President tweeted this week, adding that “smart” bombs were heading towards the region.
“Never said when an attack on Syria would take place. Could be very soon or not so soon at all!” the President added.
Never said when an attack on Syria would take place. Could be very soon or not so soon at all! In any event, the United States, under my Administration, has done a great job of ridding the region of ISIS. Where is our “Thank you America?”
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 12, 2018